Friday 22 June 2012

Willem De Kooning

Willem de Kooning born 1904 [- 1997]
"American Abstract Expressionist painter and sculptor. Born in Rotterdam. Apprenticed at the age of twelve to a firm of commercial artists and decorators; also studied for eight years at evening classes at Rotterdam Academy of Fine Arts and Techniques. Emigrated to the USA in 1926. Supported himself at first by painting signs, department-store displays, carpentry, etc.; only decided to be primarily a painter after a year on the WPA Federal Art Project 1935. Friendship with John Graham and Gorky. In the 1930s and early 1940s painted abstractions and figures; worked c.1945-9 mainly in black and white with high velocity, erotic shapes. His first one-man exhibition at the Egan Gallery, New York, in 1948 established his reputation. Taught at Black Mountain College, North Carolina, 1948 and at Yale Art School 1950-1. Painted a series of 'Women' c.1950-5, followed by pictures related to impressions of landscape. Moved in 1963 from New York to The Springs, Long Island. Since 1969 has also made a number of sculptures."


De Kooning's work is very influential towards my project as his usage of strong and powerful colours and brush strokes give his work a distinctive look among any modern day artist. I am impressed with his work. It is an interesting source of material and I feel exploring his work I could learn new skills and techniques that I would ba able to experiment with in my FMP. 


This is a closer view of my page I painting recreating an image of his, I tried to get it as closer to the real picture that I could. By doing so I blended many colours together to create a collection of bold, clashing colours as this is very eye popping. 



The splashes of white paint finish off the page as it gives the painting the really abstract effect it needs.
The recreation looks destructive and very expressive as it shows I have displayed an understanding of the artist not only of his paintings.




 De Kooning focuses his paintings and work on the observation of women as mos of his abstract work os based upon the image of womens bodys and figures, presented in an unsual expressive form.

Woman I, Willem de Kooning (1950-52)




Subject: " De Kooning described the figurative motif of this painting not as a representation but as a thing slapped on the canvas, liberating him from formal anxieties. Woman I "did one thing for me: it eliminated composition, arrangement, relationships, light, because that [motif] was the one thing I wanted to get hold of. I thought I might as well stick to the idea that it's got two eyes, a nose and mouth and neck."


No comments:

Post a Comment